We live in one of the world's most affluent countries yet many people are still living on the streets. For people on low income, a sudden crisis such as a delay in receiving benefits or an expected bill can mean going hungry. For many people it’s a choice between paying their bills or eating while parents may have to skip meals in order to feed their children.
The City Circle homeless project aims to:
• Change the way society thinks and acts towards homeless people
• Help people in short-term crisis by providing free food and clothing
• Raise funding to support existing activities and support our partner charities and volunteer groups
The City Circle works partners with two groups:
1. The Children of Adam is a group of volunteers who get together once a week to distribute food, drink and clothes to homeless people and people living in difficult circumstances in London. We meet every Sunday at 6pm at Lincoln’s Inn Field (and you are welcome to join us) where we hand out any items needed by the 150 plus homeless people we meet each week.
We are particularly focused on during the winter season on our winter pack appeal where we hand out various items of warm clothing like thermal socks, gloves, sleeping bags etc… 100% of all donations raised on this donation page will go directly towards paying for these items - as well as for hot food, sandwiches, drink and other basic items needed - which will be distributed by our teams of volunteers. (Not a single penny goes towards overheads or any of the volunteers.)
While there are many worthy charitable causes overseas which require our urgent attention and help we must not allow ourselves to forget to all do our part to raise money and awareness for those struggling here at home in the UK too. In the current economic crisis more and more people, young and old, men and women, are finding themselves out on the streets with nowhere to go. For various reasons some cannot get into shelters, are not able to claim benefits, and are forced to sleep out on the streets, or in shelters or in unsafe locations. Whether it is due to domestic violence, unemployment, immigration status or anything else, there are people out there on the streets of London right now who need your help.
By contributing, even a little, you'll be doing your part to fulfil the maxim that charity starts at home.
Thank you for your contribution
2. The National Zakat Foundation is a ground-breaking initiative which aims to utilise Zakat funds and voluntary donations collected in the United Kingdom for the benefit of local, deserving recipients. This group includes some of the most vulnerable members of our community, including widows, orphans, refugees, the aged as well as the homeless.
We aim to raise awareness about the work being done by the National Zakat Foundation towards a longer term solution in getting individuals off the streets and in a position where they are self sustainable. Any guests that attend the Children of Adam food bank and we identify as needing additional support will be referred to the National Zakat Foundation. For more information please go to http://www.nzf.org.uk