Would you like to join our events team and help deliver our programme of acclaimed talks?
City Circle’s programme of Friday talks has been running for 20 years and we are looking for talented and enthusiastic individuals to join our events team. We are looking for volunteers to get involved with all aspects of organising, publicising and running our events, helping us to engage with as wide an audience as possible. Areas where we need assistance include:
- Social media: publicising our events and initiatives on our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram channels
- Web editing: keeping our website updated through our content management system
- Email marketing: publicising events to subscribers and maintaining our contact database
- Graphic design: creating posts about events to share on social media
- Organising talks: identifying interesting topics and approaching potential speakers
- Venue management: liaising with venues, setting up equipment on the day, and welcoming guests
- Video editing: making our talks available to those who can't attend in person
About The City Circle’s events
From business and science to politics and spirituality, we provide an open forum to discuss and learn about the topics which matter to Muslims in the UK. Some of our talks focus on religious themes, while others look at the issues affecting our society and our communities. This year we have held talks on everything from Hajj and Muslim marriage to masculinity in Islam, and our response to the terror attacks in Christchurch New Zealand.
Why get involved?
As we are a small charity run entirely by volunteers, you will be given real responsibility at an early stage, and a chance to influence and shape our events. Volunteering through City Circle is a great way to develop your skills, build confidence, and meet like-minded people. It’s also a lot of fun!
Our existing team and past volunteers come from a wide range of educational and professional backgrounds, and we value the different skills and ideas which they bring to the team. If you have experience of organising or running events then that is an advantage, but this isn't essential as we provide full training. What is more important is that you are reliable and keen to contribute.
We recognise that people have busy schedules, and so a lot of preparation work can be done remotely and flexibly. Ideally you will be able to commit for an average of a few hours per week. Our events are held in central London, usually on Friday evenings, and it is helpful if you are able to attend most of them in person.